Flavorful crimini mushrooms shine in this tangy reduction, but it works with any type of mushroom. (Note: if you choose portobello mushrooms, remove the black gills.) Serve atop a delicious grilled steak, or spoon it onto a side of pasta.
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Optional spices: pinch oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and/or rosemary
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms, stirring to fully coat them in the oil, and saute for 3 minutes.
3. Add the shallots, garlic, and dried herbs. Saute for 2 additional minutes.
4. Add the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to fully incorporate. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
5. Allow the sauce to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until it begins to look like a syrup. Remove from heat and serve.
Reheating note: This sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a small pan over low heat, stirring to prevent scorching.